Friday, June 10, 2011

Chasing Carrots

     Woot! Woot! Freaky Friday! Are you feeling freaky? Whoa whoa now, this isn't that type of Blog... yet. So  know I said that I was going to release Purple Pigs today, but a lot of my followers requested that I finish the 3 part story I posted previously. So you know how much I love my followers... Especially on FREAKY FRIDAY! I wrote this in my head at work this morning. We had a silly little military formation, where all the low ranking worker ants, had to stand at attention and listen to the big boys talk for hours... about nothing. So as I was standing there trying to pass time, while others were fainting around me, and I decided to play this story in my head. This is what I came up with, and I'm quite proud of it actually. But like always, I can't figure out how to end things, so after this entry you may ask that I continue, or you may suggest that I trash it all completely. Either way, I had fun creating this. Again, I know Purple Pigs was suppose to post today, and many of you may have your kids tucked in now just impatiently waiting on my lovely life changing story... Kiss the kids, and tell them Uncle Niles is sorry... Purple Pigs will post Monday. So here is Part 4, Chasing Carrots...

P.S. Don't forget that tomorrow is Saturday Poetry Night! and of course Sunday Word. Don't forget to check back in, and bring your friends...


'Chasing Carrots'




           A pair of lights scanned across the side of Kristina’s house making their way towards my position. I ducked like a fugitive on the walls of Rikers. When I looked back for the source, I noticed a car pulling into her driveway so I received cover from a small bush by her window; the same bush I had suggested she remove for this very reason… Crazy Ex’s. I wondered who could possibly be coming to see her this time of night so I watched carefully as the figure stepped out of the car and came to light. It was her crazy ex…  the other crazy ex. I stared at this fool while clinching down on the bush out of anger. This was the same guy who came to my house and sucker punched me, leaving me with this gash on my head that stung every time a snowflake made contact with it. I wanted to break off a sharp twig from the bush and stab him in his jugular, but hey… this isn’t Rikers. He had what seemed to be roses of some sort in his hand, probably coming by here to apologize for his earlier behavior. I had to see what happens next. Hopefully Kristina would slam the door in his face and justice would be served.
                I needed a better view of the door so I decided to make my way towards a tree that was in the middle of her lawn. I couldn’t just stand up and tippy toe, so I decided to crawl. A silly precaution hit me; I was nervous that I would leave fingerprints in the snow and she would know I was here lurking in the shadows. Fingerprints in the snow…. If my fingers weren’t on the verge of frostbite I would have slapped myself. If she wanted to know who was outside her window all she had to do was look for the frozen body on her lawn, looking like Leonardo Dicaprio in ‘Titanic’. I always wondered why Rose let go; No matter how many times I watched that movie, Rose always lets go…
                I watched as he walked to the door and she answered it. I was expected her to wear a frown of disgust, but only wore that wardrobe around me I guess. She didn’t slam the door or shun him away. She smiled, accepted the flowers, and kissed him. She kissed him… with the lips that were promised to me… my lips… she kissed him with my lips! The same lips that I dreamed about… the same lips that I had nightmares of leaving… the same lips that I woke up to and they were still there, good morning kisses, have a good day kisses, how was your day kisses, good night kisses. The same lips that instigated passionate love making… Those were my lips, and now she had given them away.
                I didn’t care who saw me now, I just stood up and walked away. I didn’t know for sure if I was headed in the direction of my car, but at this moment I didn’t care. Plus it was hard to navigate through these white streets with a low head, and flooded eyes of slushy tears. I didn’t know what to think, I just felt stupid and embarrassed. Even though nobody saw me, I think, I still felt a high level of shame. My actions tonight were the pinnacle of low… a voice from across the street startled me.
                “Reggie?” The voice said. I had to wipe my eyes to identify this person and I was even more ashamed when I did. It was Julissa. Julissa had been a close friend of mine for years but we had never taken it further than that. Sure I’ve thought about it lustfully, but never lovely; she was just a friend. In fact she was how I met Kristina. And now she had caught me wet eyed on Kristina’s street.
                “What are you doing here Reggie?” Julissa asked with a look of concern. I had no answer, instead I looked around as if I was sleep walking, or maybe I would see a dog in arms reach with a lease attached to him… yeah I was just out walking my dog in the snow. But there was no dog around. The only stray pitiful looking animal wondering these streets was me. And I had no collar, no home of residence, no owner… just a homeless heart.
                “I don’t know Lisa, I just wanted to see…” I started.
                “Why do you keep doing this to yourself?” Julissa asked as she stepped closer.
                “Doing what?” I asked, knowing damn well what she meant.
                “Chasing something you can’t have… You’re making yourself look like a jackass Reggie.” Her words hit hard, but I needed a good hit, one that wouldn’t leave a stinging gash.
                “It’s funny that you would say that Lisa, cause that’s exactly how I feel. I feel like a donkey chasing a carrot.” I said leaning against the street light that illuminated gliding snowflakes.
                “Chasing a carrot?” Julissa asked with a puzzled brow.
                “You know how they put a carrot on a string to get the donkey to come forward. That’s how I feel. She’s that carrot that’s in my face teasing me, and fueling me to drive forward. But I can’t see the strings that are attached. And no matter how fast I move, how strong my steps, how long my stride, I will never get that carrot. But I keep trying, because Lisa… That’s what a jackass is meant to do.”
                “…But you’re not moving forward Reggie. You’re going in circles, that carrot is teasing you man.” Julissa said stepping even closer to me. I looked up into her eyes, which I couldn’t differentiate from the snowflakes; she had beautiful eyes, yet I never noticed till now.
                “Reggie, sometimes that donkey spends his whole life chasing that one carrot that attracts his eyes, and never realizes all the carrots that are right under his nose.” I looked back into her eyes, and I noticing them getting closer. She leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips... on my lips. I became stuck to the very light pole I leaned on like a Child's wet tounge. This was truly becoming a Christmas Story.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, hit that follow button :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good, but you make me sick ending it like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh what's wronnnnnnggg? I did what you asked :)

    ReplyDelete